Hello Family!
My word I don't even know how I'm going to fit all of this in an
email. This was the best week ever! I'm in Midlothian! It is in the same
stake as the mission home, right outside of Richmond, and I LOVE it
here. My comp's name is Sister Armstrong, and she is basically a
gigantic answer to a prayer. She has such a strong testimony, loves to
work hard, and is GENUINE. It is so nice! She's a really confident girl,
and we get along great. She has only been out 12 weeks, so she just got
done being trained, and now she is "step-training" me. Her testimony is
so strong, and she just basically rocks. We work really hard together,
but we also have SO much fun!! We've only been comps for a week, but we
are already such great friends. Apparently things have been really slow
in Midlo for a long time, but this week has been so awesome! We have 5
new investigators!!
I've been out for 2 months now, can you believe it?! The last
transfer was really challenging, but now I feel like I can honestly say,
"I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!" with a smile, and mean it. :) So here was
my week:
Tuesday - Arrived in Midlo! At transfer meeting, we got to hear the testimonies
of some missionaries who were headed home. It was amazing! They were so
strong and full of light. I just had this huge realization of "I don't
want this to pass me by!" It got me so stoked on the work.
Wednesday - We got up at 5 am
and went to Seminary. We taught the youth about missions and bore our
testimonies. It was great! The youth here are so amazing! They are so
stoked about sharing the gospel, and they have some powerful
testimonies. Cool thing about Wednesday,
everything we planned for the entire day actually happended! That has
never once happened here, and I don't know that it ever will again, but
it was really cool. The night before we just sat down and prayed
that Heavenly Father would help us plan a super effective day, and He
did! It just feels really good to work hard.
Thursday
- We had an appointment who bailed on us (classic), so we decided to
walk over to a potential investigator's house who lived on the same
street. There are no members that live in the neighborhood. Randomly,
this car just pulled over and said, "Hey! Are you missionaries?" And
then he gave us a referral for someone on that street! He was a member
from DC (2 hrs away) who just happened to be driving by at that exact
moment. It was awesome. We were really busy all day long, but we found
ourselves with 20 minutes to kill just before dinner. We were almost out
of miles, so we prayed that Heavenly Father would place someone in our
path that we could help. Ba da bing! We drove past this adorable old
lady picking up litter on the side of the road! We helped her pick up a
bunch of garbage and then had a wonderful gospel conversation. She
invited us over to teach her! We got back in the car and it was 4:25,
exactly 5 minutes before we were supposed to be to our next
appointment. Heavenly Father answered our prayer. After dinner, we met the Whites!! They
are so awesome. They had met missionaries before, but for some reason
no one ever taught them the lessons! So we had an awesome lesson with
the Mom, and then the Dad came home from work. He really wants the
discussions, and asked if we could come back when the whole family was
home to hear it! YAY! We spent some time getting to know them, and MAN. I
love their family like I've known them all my life. Sister Armstrong
and I just walked out of their house speechless because everything went
so well. It's crazy how when the spirit takes over, we are almost
completely taken out of the picture. When we are focused on the
investigators and what they really need, when all we genuinely want is
for them to be happy, the spirit speaks through us. I just feel so lucky
that I get to be a part of this work. I have no doubt that Heavenly
Father could accomplish all of his purposes without the missionaries.
But because he loves us, he is merciful enough to let us take part. I
have learned so much out here.
Friday- We taught A. Hill, and she gave me this huge book about cats!! Hahah I love her! Awe man I love Virginia
Saturday
- Had my first taste of southern soul food!! BBQ chicken, Hush puppies,
and mac and cheese. I felt like I was actually in the south, and
I liked it way too much. Luckily, we don't eat that way very often,
otherwise I would be 3000 lbs when I got home. It was so pretty outside on Saturday!
It was kind of rainy and overcast, but super warm. Virginia is really
humid, and the trees are starting to get blossoms! Sister Armstrong and I
studied on the deck of our appartment in the morning and spent as much
of the day outside as we could. How did you like the women's broadcast?!
Oh man, that was so amazing! I loved Pres. Eyring's talk.
Shoot! There is just not enough time to write about everything this
week!! I just feel like a whole different person, I've grown so much. I
know that miracles don't happen until after the trial of our faith
(Ether 12:6-12), but they do happen. In the last 6 weeks my faith has
been tried more intensely than ever. But now I truly have recieved a
witness. I know that God is aware of every individual. I know that He
has a plan for us. I know that families can be forever, and that that
principle is central to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus
Christ is the Savior of the world. No matter how dark things may feel at
times, we are never out of the reach of His divine love. When He was on
the cross, He lost communication with his Father and cried out, in
agony, "My God, why has Thou forsaken me?" Elder Holland's description
of this experience is, "But Jesus held on. He pressed on. The faith He
lived by told him that divine compassion is never absent, that God never
flees nor fails us!" Because he didn't loose hope, he was resurrected
and redeemed all of us. I know that his light is real. I have felt it
engulf me in the past week, and now I cannot deny it's truth. I know
that Jesus Christ lives.
I love and miss you guys so much!
That letter was so touching and it really moved me to tears. Thank you so much for sharing it
ReplyDelete