Monday, February 2, 2015

September 15, 2014 Scotchtown!

Hey ya'll!
 
I'm feeling so blessed to be serving in a trio in Scotchtown! Do you remember me talking about Sister Anderson from the MTC? The super funny one who plays the mandolin? She's my companion! She is just the greatest. She's from Salem, UT, she's in a bluegrass band, and she is a super great missionary! My other companion's name is Sister Ence, and she is about the sweetest person in the world. She's from Fruit Heights, and she went to BYU Idaho. LOVE THEM!
 
Okay, where do I even begin?? You guys, this area is NUTS. I feel like I got transferred to a different country. We're out in the sticks, and the people here are just the best. I've been called a "Momen," a "Boman," and a "Norman" this week. "Use-ta-could" is a frequent phrase, as well as, "Ya'll be blessed nah!" It takes an hour to drive across our area, and our church building is completely surrounded by cornfields. In Sunday school, our teacher was asked to define the word "circumstance," so he wrote on the board, "WHAT YOU IN."
 
My first experience here was a lesson with a guy named Tony. I was like, "Is this guy for real?" I've never met anyone so enthusiastic about the gospel (Or really about anything in general!) He's this huge black guy with crazy dread locks that stick up all over. He's so cool! He's trying to quit smoking, and is really turning his life around. (In his words) "Man, I'm chill nah. All cause I been readin de Momen Book." We asked what his goals were and he said, "For real? My life dream is to have a log cabin out in the woods, and be married to a Mormon chick. The pitt bulls can come, maybe even a poodle, that's fine. But we all goin a live with the kids, and they be so nice. When they break the glass, they just say 'Daddy we broke it!' and I'll sweep it up, just like 'dat's fine. Go n play nah!'" Not even joking. This guy is pure gold.
 
Other funny things about Scotchtown:
On Thursdays, we do service at a thrift store called "Class and Trash."
I held a baby hedge hog!
Someone proudly told me this week, "I've only pulled a gun on someone twice!"
Our ward mission leader, Brother Mills.
 
Oh man, this guy. How does one describe Brother Mills?? He is the most energetic 79 year old farmer I have ever met! He just loves people and LOVES to share the gospel. He goes through the phone book just to find people for us to teach! The only problem is, everything he does cracks me up. Just like everyone in Scotchtown, he's kinda crazy. My companions and I just can't ever seem to keep it together with all the funny stuff that goes on!
 
Right now, go on youtube and watch "Ain't nobody got time for that." And you will get a glimpse of Scotchtown. It's impossible to describe over email!  It's so fun, but at the same time really humbling. We don't realize how good we have it. At least, I never did at home. Mom and Dad, I just want you to know how grateful I am that you two raised me in the Church. Thank you for teaching me about my Savior. Also, thank you for all the sacrifices you've made so our family wouldn't have to go without. I don't know how or why Heavenly Father has been so good to us, but I'm so grateful that he has. I'm grateful for the love in our home, and I'm grateful to be out here serving. It's hard work, but I am loving every minute of it.
 
It is breathtaking here. I will try to send pictures home next week. I love you so very much. I think of you and pray for you every day. I wish I could write about all the spiritual experiences and good times, but like always, there's just not time. I'll tell you someday though :) I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I love Him. This life is all about love.
 
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment