Sunday, April 12, 2015

November 17, 2014 - Bugabooed

Hi Family!
 
Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. It was definitely a birthday I won't forget! I woke up, and my companions said, "Congratulations on beating teen pregnancy!!"  They decorated the house while I was in the shower and made me muffins for breakfast. :) It was so sweet! Later, we happened to bump into a member, and he took us all to lunch! He didn't even know it was my birthday.
 
After that, we visited a less active member. It turns out, one of her couches has bed bugs. Like BAD bed bugs!! Sis. Anderson noticed them mid lesson crawling all over the place. When we came out, they were all over us, in our bags, our clothes, everywhere! It was disgusting. We got them off our stuff, but its kind of a stressful situation!
 
As Brother Mills would say, "We done got bugabooed!"
 
The sweet senior couple missionaries in our ward are like our mission-grandparents. They heard me telling my companions about Grammy's caramelitas one time, and they decided to make them for me for my birthday!!! It was so cute and soo thoughtful! (Of course they weren't nearly as good as Grammy's, but it was really sweet.) :)
 
 
This week was pretty hard. To be honest, I'm having a rough few weeks. I'm so grateful for prayer though, and for our personal study time in the morning. It gets me through! Yesterday, I read in Mosiah 24 about the people of Alma who were in bondage. They poured out their hearts to God, and he said, "Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me.... And I will also ease the burdens which are put on your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs." He then strengthened the people so they were able to bear their burdens with ease. Missionary work can be a really heavy, stressful load, but I'm praying that the Lord will strengthen me through it. These people "did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." So I guess I should too.
 
Oh my word, we had the most ridiculous lesson with the Hagues this week! Actually. every lesson with them is kind of nuts. Anyways! We pulled in, and their entire house and yard was COVERED in Christmas lights. I've never seen so many decorations haha. There was a little dog in a Santa suit running around. Ron had an all camo outfit with "duck dynasty" written on the vest. It was sweet! He told us that he once flew a kite so high, it got hit by an airplane. We found out that he and Valerie got married at the "Gospel Chickenhouse," (an old chicken coup/barn turned into a bluegrass venue.) They had a really difficult time understanding the Word of Wisdom. "Ya mean I can't eat ma elk, ma squirrel, and ma turtle meat?!?!" Ohdear... haha
 
We didn't get to meet with the Walkers because the mom has been in a lot of pain this week. Please pray for them. We taught Jermaine last night, and he's still solid as a rock. He's just going through a really tough time financially, and emotionally too. Please keep him in your prayers too.
 
It's crazy how hard Satan works on people when they are trying to do good. Whenever sincere, repentant people try to meet with us, it seems like something always comes up. (They get the flu, something happens at work, etc.) It seems like before any great spiritual experience on my mission, there is a struggle. But I know that there is great purpose in our trials, and our Savior is there to help us along the way.
 
I love the gospel. I know it's true. I love you fam!
 
Love,
Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment