Sunday, April 12, 2015

October 20, 2014

Hi Fam!

This week has been crazy. And awesome! We started teaching the Hague family, and they are some of my favorite people in the universe, I think. We pulled up to their house, and there was a sign nailed to a tree that said, "Stop! BLOW YOUR HORN BEFOR YOU GET OUT!" We did, and a man wearing a plaid shirt with the sleeves cut off walked out and welcomed us in. Valerie, the mom, is in a wheelchair, and Chet and Troy are their teenage sons. They live in really humble circumstances, but they have so much faith. And they're hilarious. "Use-ta-could read the Bible all the time. Den mah eye sight got worser!" Love them. Ron has a tattoo that says, "Git er done!"
 
Remember Landon, the atheist guy we've been teaching? Well, Sis. Ence challenged him a while back to start looking at everything as if there was a God for one week. The next day, his boss asked him to go to a conference in Salt Lake City. This week was the big trip! His conference was held on temple square! The second day he was there, he walked up to the temple, put out his hands and said, "Okay, God. I'm listening. I'm here. If you're there, let me know." Just then, he looked up and saw something silver in the air twirling around the spires. It started spinning faster and gradually started falling. Without taking a step, he opened his hand right out in front of him, and the feather fell perfectly in his palm. He was shocked. God is real!!
 
The sad part is though, it wasn't enough :( Landon asked for a second feather, and when it didn't come, he decided that there wasn't enough proof. He just isn't ready to learn right now, so there isn't much more we can do for him. :( Alma 32:17-18.
 
On a happy note, Jermaine is a boss!! He literally is a walking testimony of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Every time we meet with him, I am just blown away by how receptive he is to the spirit, and by how humble and ready to change he is. He has completely turned his life over to God. He shares the gospel with every person he meets. It's awesome! He's going through a lot of turmoil right now... facing persecution, not being able to find a job, and being surrounded by temptation. But he "Looks to (God) in every thought; doubts not, fears not."
 
Yesterday, President Wilson came to a lesson with him, and it went really well." Transfer calls were on Saturday night, and we didn't get one! We were so happy that we were all staying, but after the lesson, President Wilson said to brother Mills, "I'm sorry these 3 are all leaving you." We were like, "Whaaaaaaaa?" He said, "Oh, you didn't get a call?" looking really confused. We shook our heads and he said, "Okay, then I guess you're not getting transferred." But for the rest of the day, we were so worried that they were going to whitewash the area and that they just forgot to tell us! So we called the AP's, and whew, we're all staying. :) I'm soooo grateful! I love it here, and I sure love my two buddies!
 
Speaking of them, Sister Anderson is really good at the guitar! This week, we had lunch with the Walsh's. He builds bluegrass instruments, and the two of them had a sweet jam! It was fun. Btw, I hope you guys still like me if I'm 500 pounds when I get home. Sister Walsh made us meatloaf, chicken spaghetti, salad, snaps (aka green beans), potatoes, home made rolls, sweet potato pie, and cookies. For lunch. The next day, Sister Mills made us butterbeans, chili, cornbread, baked apples, sweet potatoes, and apple cider. The members are sooo good to us here! And a lot of the food is freshly grown, so that's fun. It's just making me pudgy.
 
Well, that's the update! I'm still loving it here. Growing and learning a lot. :) I love you, fam!!
 
Love,
Sister Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment